Sale Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 11:00 AM
Welcome to Hollywood Auction 62. We have put forth great effort in assembling this incredible selection of material, spanning the silent era to modern film, which we proudly present to you. We are proud to announce that the legendary Western Costume Company has opened its “Star Collection” for the purposes of deaccessioning in order to grow for the future. It has been a quarter century since Western last offered any pieces from this revered collection, and they chose Profiles in History to handle this endeavor. Among the stars highlighting their collection: a suite of fourteen costumes from The Sound of Music featuring Christopher Plummer, Vivien Leigh from Gone With the Wind, Marilyn Monroe from How to Marry a Millionaire, George C. Scott from Patton, Errol Flynn from Charge of the Light Brigade and John Wayne from Big Jim McLain.
Following is just a glimpse of what else awaits you within these pages:
- Original insert poster for the 1927 U.S. release of Fritz Lang’s epic Metropolis.
- A massive Max Factor & Company archive of theatrical makeup and historical materials.
- A select grouping of items from the world famous TCL Chinese Theatre, some of which adorned the historic theatre since its opening in 1927.
- Important selection of material from Gone With the Wind, including a set of four vintage Walter Plunkett costume designs, and author Margaret Mitchell’s personal annotated scrapbooks for the book and film.
- Judy Garland “Dorothy” early test dress by Adrian from The Wizard of Oz.
- Bert Lahr’s “Cowardly Lion” prop “Witch Remover” from The Wizard of Oz.
- Original Travilla costume design for Marilyn Monroe’s iconic “Subway Dress” from The Seven Year Itch.
- Marlon Brando “Don Corleone” assassination overcoat worn in The Godfather.
- Steve McQueen Gulf Racing jacket worn during the production and promotion of Le Mans.
- Harrison Ford’s “Han Solo” blaster from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
- Costume designer Charles Knode’s personal Blade Runner production bible.
- Director Ridley Scott’s hand-annotated script from Alien with his hand-drawn “Ridleygram” storyboard art.
- Original concept art by Ron Cobb, Chris Foss and Moebius from Alien.
- William Shatner “Capt. Kirk” space suit from Star Trek: The Original Series episode “The Tholian Web”.
- James Doohan “Scotty” second season Starfleet tunic from Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Kate Winslet’s “Rose DeWitt Bukater” engagement ring from Titanic (1997).
- Original full-scale Titanic lifeboat #14 used in the rescue scenes in Titanic (1997).
- “Frodo Baggins” hand-crafted “Sting” sword with etched aluminum blade from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
- Key set pieces, puppets and artwork from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Original Batmobile studio process car used to film interior shots in Batman Returns.