Sale Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:00 AM
Day 2: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:00 AM
Day 3: Thursday, October 1, 2015 - 11:00 AM
Day 1: Lots 1-631
Day 2: Lots 632-1264
Day 3: Lots 1265-1935 (lots 1906-1935 are not pictured in the print catalog)
Welcome to Hollywood Auction 74.
We have put forth great effort in gathering the finest items of their kind – spanning the silent era to modern film, as well as the costumes and props from the dawn of television up through the latest popular programs. Among the offerings is the largest collection of Orson Welles items ever assembled for public auction, including treasures from his days at Mercury Theatre, such as an original transcript of the historic radio drama for War of the Worlds released by CBS to the press on October 31, 1938 – the day after the nationwide hysteria that ensued when the radio play first aired. Also included are a number of monumentally important documents, scripts and photographs relating to the creation of Citizen Kane , including Welles’ personal “American” (Citizen Kane working title) typed manuscript First Rough Draft by Herman Mankiewicz, Welles’ personal 3rd Revised Final Shooting Script with numerous hand-annotations (including camera blocking notes and signatures by principal cast members), and Welles’ personal collection of (100+) vintage Citizen Kane set-continuity negatives with (80+) vintage contact prints.
Following is just a glimpse of what else awaits you within these pages:
• A number of custom-print photographs of Greta Garbo from her personal collection.
• Personal artifacts from Norma Shearer and Irving Thalberg, including Norma’s 1930 Best Actress Academy Award for The Divorcee as well as her Adrian-designed black velvet and silver lace gown from Marie Antoinette.
• W.C. Fields’ personal “joke box” containing 100+ handwritten pages of various jokes and wordplays in Fields’ hand.
• Original 21-page signed contract between the Marx Brothers and Paramount Pictures for the making of 1933’s comedy classic Duck Soup.
• Historic early black & white George Reeves “Superman” costume with “muscle” under suit and special effects flying rig from The Adventures of Superman.
• Wonderful assortment of Lucille Ball costume pieces and personal effects from I Love Lucy and other productions, including her portable makeup table used throughout her career.
• Gloria Swanson’s distinctive “Norma Desmond” wing-motif necklace and Best Actress nomination plaque from Sunset Blvd.
• Extraordinary assemblage of items from Forbidden Planet , including Walter Pidgeon’s “Morbius” costume, hero illuminating laser rifle, pistol and force field generator and prehistoric fish artwork outside Morbius’ home.
• Ron Howard “Steve’s” iconic custom 1958 Chevrolet Impala used throughout American Graffiti.
• Henry Winkler “Arthur ‘The Fonz’ Fonzarelli” signature Triumph motorcycle from Happy Days.
• The “Blockade Runner” filming miniature from Star Wars (the first spacecraft seen in the film), along with an original Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet and tunic, among many other artifacts from the Star Wars universe.
• Screen-used Alien head used in the first Alien film with original LOA signed by designer H.R. Giger.
• Amazing collection of weapons and props from Jaws, including Robert Shaw “Quint’s” harpoon rifle and machete, a yellow shark barrel, Richard Dreyfuss “Hooper’s” barrel strobe and underwater light.
These examples represent a mere fraction of the pieces offered in this sale. We are certain there is something here for everyone, and we hope you enjoy perusing the catalog.