Sale Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - Immediately Following Essentially Marilyn: The Auction
Day 2: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 11:00 AM PST
Day 3: Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:00 AM PST
Day 4: Friday, December 14, 2018 - 11:00 AM PST
Welcome to Hollywood Auction 96.
This is an extraordinary assemblage of props, costumes, costume designs, set decoration, and other studio relics that we have scoured the globe over the past year to present to you in this monumental sale. From the silent era up through Hollywood’s Golden Age, we have artifacts spanning all the major stars and covering all genres. Of immense literary and cultural importance is Noel Langley’s handwritten first draft 86-page screenplay for The Wizard of Oz, being part of a production archive covering the creation and development of the most beloved film in cinema history.
Following is just a glimpse of the items awaiting you in these pages that left indelible marks in Hollywood history:
- Greta Garbo Adrian-designed coronation cape from Queen Christina.
- Irving Thalberg’s “Best Picture” Academy Award from Mutiny on the Bounty.
- Groucho Marx “S. Quentin Quale” tailcoat worn in Go West.
- Margaret Hamilton “Wicked Witch of the West” witch’s hat from The Wizard of Oz.
- Charlie Chaplin “Hynkel” military dress uniform jacket from The Great Dictator.
- Lady Oona Chaplin vintage couture Christian Dior “Palmyre” evening gown & shoes worn on opening night of A King in New York.
- Clark Gable “Mike Brannan” miniature effects race car from To Please a Lady.
- Gloria Swanson “Norma Desmond” evening jacket and “Best Actress” Golden Globe from Sunset Boulevard.
- Hero Nautilus crewman “baldy style” dive helmet from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- Screen used “Lawgiver” statue from Dr. Zaius’ office in The Planet of the Apes.
- Sean Connery “James Bond 007” signature suit from You Only Live Twice.
- Barbra Streisand “Dolly Levi” costume from Hello, Dolly!
- William Shatner “Captain Kirk” Starfleet tunic with insignia and rank braid from Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Type-2 Phaser pistol from Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Mark Hamill “Luke Skywalker” production used lightsaber from the first Star Wars from the collection of set decorator Roger Christian.
- Screen used Stormtrooper helmet from Star Wars: The Force Awakens signed by Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and other cast members, with Lucasfilm letter of authenticity.
- Sigourney Weaver “Ripley” signature combat costume ensemble from Aliens.
- Original Sylvester Stallone “Rambo” survival knives from First Blood and Rambo: First Blood Part II.
- Robin Wright “Princess Buttercup” signature red dress from The Princess Bride.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Terminator” hero modified Winchester shotgun from Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- Hero metal rocket pack and costume ensemble from The Rocketeer with Disney documentation.
These few examples represent the tip of the iceberg of this sale, which is so incredibly broad in scope and importance that mere words can only hint at its magnitude.