Sale Date: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 11am
Welcome to our first-ever sale devoted to Rock ‘n’ Roll and pop music! We have spent a considerable amount of time and energy assembling this sale and acquiring the best of the genre for this special event. Beginning with letters from the influential figurehead of American folk music, Woody Guthrie, we move on to music icons such as Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and The Doors, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Eric Clapton, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam and Michael Jackson, to name a few.
A large portion of the sale is composed of the esteemed personal collection of John Stix, creator and editor of Guitar for the Practicing Musician. Stix’s collection is the culmination of over a quarter-century of immersion in the rock music world and passionate Rock ‘n’ Roll memorabilia collecting. Some of contemporary music’s most remarkable talents and superstars have handwritten musical notations to their signature guitar riffs, penned lyrics to their most famous songs and written personal anecdotes about their music that defined the culture.
Here is just a glimpse of what awaits you within these pages:
- Elvis Presley’s diamond & platinum wedding ring from his marriage to Priscilla.
- Elvis Presley stage-worn ornate belt from his black “Conquistador” performance jumpsuit.
- Bob Dylan handwritten lyrics for “I Want You” used as he was recording the song in 1966.
- John Lennon vintage Beatles stage-worn D.A. Millings custom-made suit.
- (6) Vintage color transparencies of The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, sold with copyright.
- Jim Morrison unpublished 100-page handwritten notebook from his last days in Paris, 1971.
- Jim Morrison handwritten lyrics to The Doors’ “Riders on the Storm” – the last song Morrison would record before his untimely death in 1971.
- Jimi Hendrix signed bill dated July 29, 1969 to pay Gypsy Sun and Rainbows band mates who, 2 . weeks later, would play with Hendrix at Woodstock.
- Robert Plant handwritten lyrics to Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven.”
- Roger Waters handwritten lyrics, with artwork, for Pink Floyd’s “The Wall.”
- Eddie Van Halen handwritten musical notation to his iconic guitar solo “Eruption.”
- Eddie Van Halen’s 1982 “Frankenstrat” guitar used in live performances and the studio.
- Joe Perry’s handwritten musical notation from Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way.”
- Michael Jackson’s MTV “Moonman” award for Best Choreography for Thriller.
- Michael Jackson original costume worn at the 1981 American Music Awards where he accepted two awards for his first solo album Off the Wall.
- Whitney Houston signature “Queen of the Night” costume worn in the film The Bodyguard.